No Speed Humps!
World-wide Road Hump Problems
No Speed Humps!
- Great Britain
- The Sunday Times, London, December 28, 1997, summarizing a wide range of problems
- United States
- Overview of problems created by traffic calming experiments
- Local Views
- Chelmsford, Essex, England - speed cushions damaging small cars
- Montgomery County, Maryland, USA
- Portland, Maine, USA - follow-up study showed that accidents & air pollution INCREASED,
traffic DIVERTED, walking and biking DECREASED
- Westminster, Colorado, USA - "emergency services compromised"
for those living downstream from speed humps
NEWS & VIEWS
- Sarasota, Florida, Herald Tribune, September 9, 1999
"Just weeks after successfully appealing
a lawsuit that had prevented them from
building more speed humps, it now
appears Sarasota's city commissioners
don't want to build any new ones."
- Austin, Texas, American Statesman, August 4, 1999
"Speed humps scaled back"
"Houston has halted its speed hump installation program, limiting
the number of humps it will install this year...
"Houston's program has drawn fire from some who say the humps slow
emergency response times."
- Leicester, United Kingdom, Leicester Mercury, August 11, 1998
Letter-to-Editor from M. Cumming of Leicester
"The proposed road traffic control must be making
the rest of the world roll on the floor with laughter.
"What brain child thought that one up? Probably got a
degree in obstruction. The roads are so cluttered up with silly
things that traffic can't move and when it can a camera reports them
for making up lost time to work.
"When all the MPs and council members walk to work or
use public transport I'll give up my car and follow suit.
That will probably be when Nelson gets his eye back."
NEW ! Stevens Avenue Project in
Portland, Maine - AIR POLLUTION information
AATC - Wide range of problems caused by traffic calming experiments
ABD - Association of British Drivers
CARM - Speed hump problems in London
CFS - Texas-based group focusing on
problems cause by Houston's speed hump experiments
Chris - Speed hump
risk-management analysis showing impact on EMS in Boulder, Colorado
NMA - National Motorists Association's
info on traffic calming
RADA - Negative impact on
disabled drivers and passengers (UK & US)
SOS - Montgomery County, Maryland's Save Our Streets